The holidays are a time for family, friends, and giving. They can also be a time when your bank account takes a hit. If you’re looking to save money this holiday season, here are 10 tips to help you out!
- Set up a holiday budget: Before you start your holiday shopping, take some time to sit down and figure out how much money you can realistically afford to spend. Once you have a number in mind, make sure to stick to it!
- Make a shopping list: Resist the urge to impulse buy. Creating a list of people you need to buy gifts for. This will help you stay focused when you’re out shopping and prevent you from overspending.
- Opt Out: If your friends or family have adopted the tradition of giving gifts to everyone in the group. Only put your name on the list if you’re able to afford it. There’s no shame in opting out if it means staying within your budget.
- Try Secret Santa: Draw names from a hat. It’s a great way to keep costs down while still being able to give and receive gifts. Just make sure everyone is on board with the idea before proceeding!
- Consider potlucks and e-cards: If you’re looking for ways to save money, potlucks and e-cards are definitely worth considering! They’re both festive and economical alternatives to buying multiple gifts for everyone on your list.
- Pay cash whenever possible: One of the easiest ways to stay within your holiday budget is by avoiding using credit cards wherever possible - so try paying cash instead. This will help you stay mindful of how much money you’re actually spending.
- Be cautious with credit cards: If you do use credit cards this holiday season, be sure to pay off your balance in full and on time. Otherwise, you’ll end up paying interest on your purchases, which can quickly add up!
- Give the gift of your time: Sometimes the best gifts are those that don’t cost anything at all! If you’re tight on cash this year, consider giving the gift of your time instead by offering to babysit, or run errands.
- Thoughtful gifts outshine expensive ones: It’s not about how much money you spend - it’s about thoughtfulness! A well-chosen, personal gift will mean more to the recipient than something expensive.
- Take advantage of free shipping day: Did you know that there’s an entire day dedicated to free shipping? Mark your calendar for December 18th and take advantage of all the retailers who offer free shipping with no minimum purchase required! You’ll be able to get all your holiday shopping done without breaking the bank.
The holidays don’t have to be expensive! By following these 10 tips, you’ll be able to save money and still enjoy all the festivities this season has to offer. From setting up a budget to taking advantage of free shipping day, there are plenty of ways to keep costs down - so get creative and have fun!